I spent the best part of two weeks looking for 'THE' special place that I could take my wife for her birthday. I undertook my research and read my reviews and I knew that the north of Lanzarote is where we had to be. Then I found Casita Carmello and I knew that this was 'THE' special place I had been searching for. The owners, Brendan and his wife Terrie were fabulous at communicating and advising our stay here, right down to the detail of arranging our hire car to be waiting for us at the airport. We drove up to the north of the island where they were waiting to welcome us to Casita Carmello, a beautiful 300 year old traditional canerian villa nestled in the mountains and one thousands palms of Haria. Casita Carmello is one of three apartments that sit amongst the beautiful and well kept courtyard gardens of cactus, palm,banana and fig trees, with dashing reds of hibiscus flowers and purple climbing vines. At the centre is a beautiful pool surrounded by terraces you can tuck yourself away into and loose yourself in a book or look out over the palms and mountains that the town of Haria is so famous for. Little lizards fleet across the lava rock while the breeze whispes through the tall palms. Such a pleasure to return here at the end of our day exploring this incredible island.Each apartment has its own private entrance and terrace where you can muse your day away. At night the garden awakens with the beautiful lights that cast the shadows of the plants around a blue jewel lit pool. Just a few minutes around the corner is a fantastic restaurant called Puerta Verde. A fabulous selection of Spanish and local vineyard wines with a food menu of reputation that draws people from all over the island up into the hills of Haria to sample. This restaurant set in the narrow back streets of whitewashed walls is always buzzing with the sound of languages spoken, laughter and the clinking of wine glasses.
Throughout our stay here, Brendan and Terrie were always there to help us with any questions we might have and also arranged for us a truly unforgettable valentines meal in the caves of Jameos del agua which on a Saturday evening, host a 3 course dinner followed by a concert of traditional classical Spanish guitar in a setting that is one of the most beautiful places we have ever been to.
Casita Carmello set in the sleepy town of Haria and our stay there will always be held in High Regard and the story told amongst our family and friends . Would we return there?? 'Absoloutley'! Would we recommend You staying there?? 'Without Question'!.. Bendan and Terrie have created a stunning warm and welcoming Home from Home with all the charm of true traditional Canerian Architecture. Something the Late Cesar Manrique (architect and renowned artist who lived in Haria) would be very proud of , and so should Brendan and Terrie for sharing there vision with us.
While you are staying here, some ideas that made our trip so memorable.
* Visit the Cesar Manrique Foundation just outside Tahiche. The stunning former home of the late Artist and architect . built into the Lava field, this contemporary building brings the natural landscape into the incredible living space.
* Jameos del agua for Saturday night dinner and concert in a truly unbelievable setting of lava rock and lights.
* A glass of wine at the vineyards near Yazia looking out over the volcanic landscape at sunset.
* Swimming in the turquoise shallow rock pools south of Orzola on the LZ-1.
* Resturant Puerta Verde for dinner and wine in Haria.
* Timanfaya volcanic national park for lunch cooked over a volcanic vent and a tour of some breathtaking landscape.
* Seafood & wine at the Oceanside restaurants of El Gofo.
* DO NOT FORGET YOUR CAMERA!
Wishing you a fantastic trip as we have had! ...... Michael & Lydia February 2016.